PLASTIC SURGERY FAQS
Answers to common plastic surgery questions
Taken from the Greek word “plastikos,” meaning to mold or give form, plastic surgery is the specialty of medicine dedicated to restoring and reshaping the human body. It encompasses both reconstructive surgery, which is performed on abnormal structures of the body caused by birth defects, developmental problems, injuries, infection, tumors, or disease; and cosmetic surgery, which is performed to reshape or restore normal structures of the body to improve appearance and self-esteem. Dr. Maffi is a exceptional Scottsdale plastic surgeon known for providing natural and refined results. Call Maffi Surgery Clinic today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Maffi 480.505.6430.
All surgery carries some uncertainty and risk. However, plastic surgery procedures are normally safe when they’re performed by a qualified, experienced board-certified physician. It is important for patients to disclose all pertinent medical history to the surgeon, so that a true assessment of any surgical risks can be made. Interested in a personal consultation with Dr. Maffi? Contact Maffi Surgery Clinic today 480.505.6430.
A patient’s age, skin type, general health, genetic background, and the nature of his or her condition can all affect any final result. Patients who smoke may not heal as quickly as non-smoking patients.
Patients with sun-damaged skin may not achieve the same degree of improvement as those without sun-damaged skin. Though there is no way to exactly predict a surgical outcome, the surgeon will examine the known patient variables before surgery begins and can project an estimate of the surgical result. Patients can take comfort in knowing that most of the procedures performed today have been refined over several decades. Contact Maffi Surgery Clinic to schedule your personal consultation today 480.505.6430.
If you are considering plastic surgery, you must be honest with yourself. Exactly why do you want surgery? And, what are your goals for surgery? What specifically do you expect plastic surgery to do for you?
There are two categories of patients who are good candidates for surgery.
- The first includes patients with a strong self-image, who are bothered by a physical characteristic that they’d like to improve or change. After surgery, these patients feel good about the results and maintain a positive image about themselves.
- The second category includes patients who have a physical defect or cosmetic flaw that has diminished their self-esteem over time. These patients may adjust rather slowly after surgery, as rebuilding confidence takes time. However, as they adjust, these patients’ self-image is strengthened, sometimes dramatically.
It’s important to remember that plastic surgery can create both physical changes and changes in self-esteem. If you are seeking surgery with the hope of influencing a change in someone other than yourself, you might end up disappointed. It’s possible that friends and loved ones will respond positively to your change in appearance and self-confidence, however understand and accept that plastic surgery will not cause dramatic changes in people other than you. Interested in a personal consultation? Contact Maffi Surgery Clinic today at 480.505.6430
Reconstructive surgery is covered by most health insurance policies, although the specifics of coverage may vary greatly. Some carriers may fully cover reconstructive procedures; others may pay only a portion of the cost.
Cosmetic surgery, however, is usually not covered by health insurance because it is elective and not considered a medical necessity. Some plastic surgeons accept major credit cards or offer financing programs that allow patients to make manageable monthly payments for cosmetic surgery.
Keep in mind that there are a number of “gray areas” in plastic surgery that sometimes require special consideration by an insurance carrier. For example, eyelid surgery – a procedure normally performed to achieve cosmetic improvement – may be covered if drooping eyelids obscure a patient’s vision. In assessing whether the procedure will be covered, the carrier often looks at the primary reason the procedure is being performed: is it for relief of symptoms or for aesthetic improvement? Call Maffi Surgery Clinic today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Maffi to begin the conversation 480.505.6430.
Each of us has a “self-image,” a perception of how we believe we look to others. People who are happy with their self-image are more likely to be self-confident, effective in work and social situations, and comfortable in their relationships. Those who are dissatisfied tend to be self-conscious, inhibited, and less effective in activities.
Plastic surgery — whether cosmetic or reconstructive — encourages and promotes a strong, positive self-image. Even a small change on the outside can create an extraordinary change on the inside, allowing an individual’s self-confidence to flourish. We’d love to meet with you to discuss your personal goals. Give Maffi Surgery Clinic a call at 480.505.6430.
Cosmetic surgery is performed to reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve appearance and self-esteem. Cosmetic surgery is usually not covered by health insurance because it is elective.
Reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors or disease. In general, reconstructive surgery is performed to improve function, but may also be completed to approximate a normal appearance. Reconstructive surgery is typically covered by most health insurance policies although levels of coverage can vary. Interested in a consultation to discuss your personal goals? Contact Maffi Surgery Clinic today 480.505.6430.
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate. A breast lift can help elevate loose, sagging breasts, while also improving shape, fullness and your confidence. The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider a breast lift:
- Breasts that lack substance or firmness.
- Nipples and areolas that point downward.
- Breasts that appear different from each other.
- Breasts that are not equal in size.
- Breasts that are relatively small.
- You are finished with childbearing and breast-feeding.
Interested in a consultation with Dr. Maffi to discuss your personal goals? Call 480.505.6430.
The decision is based on a number of factors, including a patient’s desires, reasons for the surgery and overall health. Dr. Maffi can help you make the right decision. Schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Maffi today by calling 480.505.6430.
For certain individuals, diet and exercise will never get rid of stubborn pockets of fat. If you are in good general health and have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure. Keep in mind that liposuction does not remove cellulite and cannot tighten loose skin. Dr. Maffi can recommend other procedures to improve those conditions. The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider liposuction:
- You have localized deposits of fat in your abdomen, arms, thighs and/or neck, which may be the result of heredity and do not disappear with exercise and diet.
- You are physically fit, no more than 20 pounds overweight, and your weight is stable. If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight or even gain weight (for example, due to pregnancy), this is not the time to undergo liposuction.
- You have a minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity. Loss of skin elasticity with age can compromise liposuction results, but if your skin maintains elasticity, age alone is not a contraindication for liposuction surgery.
Every person is unique and Dr. Maffi can make recommendations to provide the best possible outcome. Call Maffi Surgery Clinic at 480.505.6430 to schedule your consultation today!
The results of liposuction surgery are technically permanent because fat cells have been removed. However, your body shape and contours might be affected by weight gain, aging, pregnancy, family genes and lifestyle factors. It is crucial to maintain healthy habits and a stable weight to maintain liposuction results. Following liposuction, if you continue to eat excess calories, fat will no longer be stored in the cells that have been removed, but will be stored in other body areas. Interested in learning more? Call Maffi Surgery Clinic today to schedule a consultation 480.505.6430.
A facelift can improve many areas of the face in one surgery and can last ten or more years. However, there will be some considerable downtime and considering you age, skin type and overall health, you may need a secondary procedure later on. The following are some common reasons to consider a facelift:
- Sagging skin in your midface and/or jawline
- Deep creases extending from your nose to the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds)
- Lines extending from each corner of your mouth down your chin (marionette lines)
- Facial fat (volume) that has fallen or is displaced
- Sagging and loss of muscle tone in the lower face, resulting in jowls
- A double chin, resulting from loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw
- Creased and sagging skin in your neck
Every patient is unique so when you’re ready, call Maffi Surgery Clinic to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Maffi at 480.505.6430. We look forward to the opportunity to meet you.